Mr Taxman
Change the way you feel about taxes.
Get informed and discover what the taxman doesn't want you to know.
Sharing it with Australia, Mr Taxman is a regular Woman’s Day columist and TV finance commentator
  • click to visit Mr Taxman on Twitter
  • click to visit Mr Taxman on FaceBook
  • rss

Rental property worksheet

Feb 09, 2011

Here is a rental property worksheet to assist you with the expenses that you need to include in your tax return. You can also download an Excel version.





Rental income


Other rental related income


Gross rent




Advertising for tenants


Body corporate fees and charges


Borrowing expenses




Council rates


Deductions for decline in value


Gardening/lawn mowing




Interest on loan(s)


Land tax


Legal expenses


Pest control


Property agent fees/commission


Repairs and maintenance


Capital works deductions


Stationery, telephone and postage


Travel expenses


Water charges


Sundry rental expenses


Total expenses


Net rental income or loss
(Gross rent less total expenses)


Tags: CalculatorsDeductionsPersonal taxProperty

Author: Mr Taxman


Post a New Comment

Media Availability

Are you interested in booking Mr Taxman for a speaking engagement or requesting his viewpoints for an article?

comments-rhsLatest Comments

  • "I am a manager and get an allowance for a car. If I travel to different places of work during my working day, can I claim back tax or can I claim kilometres?"

    By: John Galloway at Aug 02, 2015 9:07AM

    Post: Claiming car expenses

  • "My principal residence is a duplex. My husband has dementia - we rent a house out and would like to move in, so there is room for a carer. How will this affect our capital gain and Aged Pension...."

    By: Joan McAteer at Aug 02, 2015 12:50AM

    Post: CGT after moving into investment property

  • "Hi, i work away and every 3 weeks drive 150 km to the airport and my wife drives the cat home. I used to claim 77 cents per Km both ways as the car has to go home or into storage. I was paid for..."

    By: Andy Campbell at Aug 01, 2015 5:11AM

    Post: Claiming car expenses

  • "I have a novated lease company car as part of my salary packaging and will need to transfer this to make personal payments as I will be going on Maternity Leave shortly. Will my husband (who also..."

    By: Candice at Jul 30, 2015 5:48AM

    Post: Claiming car expenses

  • "I am A 76 y/old male worker with part pension as I work approx 30 hrs pwk I lodged my return as usual today only to be told by my accountant H&R Block that the mature age rebate has been 'dropped..."

    By: norman at Jul 25, 2015 7:26AM

    Post: Mature age worker tax offset changes in 2012/13